Montreal - 12-3-1 - 25 pts - First in Northeast
Pittsburgh - 4-7-5 - 13 pts - Last in Atlantic
This is a game for some mixed statistics. Consider the following about the Habs:
- Montreal is undefeated on the road - 6-0-1
- They've won 5 straight games
- They draw lots of penalties
- In their four losses (one in OT), they lost by a total of 7 goals
- They've won 12 games by a grand total of 15 goals
- They've only won by more than one goal twice
- Their PP on the road sucks (7 goals in 49 chances - 14%)
- They have Richard Zednik (nothing special about him - I just don't like him)
The Habs are led by Koivu and Kovalev. You have to like both of those players, especially Alexi after his years of service here. I still wish he would have wanted to come here during the off-season - the new game is well suited to his talents.
The x-factor in all of this is the goaltender for the Pens. I haven't seen anything yet, but I'd be surprised if we didn't see Thibault in goal. Who knows how he'll play, but we can hope that seeing the Canadien's uniform will take him in a time-warp back to his days when he played (quite well) for the Habs. If we're really lucky, some of that will rub off on him and we'll see him start to succeed on a consistent basis.
Here's hoping for our second home win of the season tonight.