Monday, October 02, 2006

Final cuts to be announced today

According to Karen Price in the Trib, the final cuts will be announced today.

They could be more severe than what I discussed in a prior post - the Post-Gazette had a throwaway line at the end of an article yesterday. According to Ray Shero:
"[Carrying 23] wouldn't be my choice," he said. "We only have nine games in October. My preference would be 22, plus IR, or maybe 21, plus IR, quite honestly. Maybe we'll just carry one extra guy to start. I want to be smart about it."
If they have Cairns and maybe Petrovicky on the IR, that means they'll carry 13 forwards (one extra since Malkin is hurt, and he'd be one of the 13), 7 defense (I think Welch has the team made) and 2 goalies.

I'd love to see them keep Letang, but that might just be irrational on my part. He's only 19, and needs to work on his game. Shero has indicated that both Letang and Staal will be signed this year, if not now, then later in the season. I just hope they can get him (Letang) signed. If it were me, I'd be tempted to keep him on the Pens for the 9 or 10 games, just so he'll sign the contract and the team can get a good look at how he does with the big boys. The only way I can see this changing is if they decide to dump Scuderi. Then they might keep Letang and Welch.

For the forwards, it looks like there are three spots to be had between these guys:
  • Pivko
  • Staal
  • Stone
  • Ouellet
  • Talbot
  • Carcillo
  • Stewart
If it's me, I keep Talbot, Ouellet and Pivko. Stone needs more playing time than he'll get on the fourth line in Pittsburgh. Staal probably should go back to juniors, and Carcillo and Stewart are more in the same mold as Ruutu, Moore and Petrovicky.

We'll see how it shapes up later today. Should be interesting, to say the least.

No comments: