Friday, March 31, 2006

Penguins 4, Islanders 0

This had to be one of the more boring shutouts I've ever watched. Maybe it's just me after a long week, but nobody really seemed to dictate the play. The Pens were opportunistic (and lucky) in the second, taking a three goal lead into the third. Caron stopped a penalty shot, and boom, that was pretty much the extent of it.

The positives were:
  • It WAS a boring game, which means the Pens played a great road game.
  • Caron played really well, making some key saves early on (he even stopped the Prince of Darkness himself on a short-handed attempt)
  • Gonchar put two up on the board - that can only be good for the team as they're looking to build some momentum
But... what kind of review would this be if I didn't nitpick something? My favorite pet peeve is the selection of the three stars. Deservedly, Caron and Gonchar were the top two. The third star? Rob Scuderi. Huh? I like Scuderi a lot, but I don't get it. Maybe he played the best game ever, or was matched up against Satan all night... but Crosby had three points (including a really nice goal) and Leclair had two. Scuderi had two shots and was even... maybe I just need to pay more attention to the games.

Anyway, next up are the Devils on Sunday, including another showdown with Mighty Mouse.

Let's go Pens!

No comments: