Taking penalties and special teams play got the Pens into trouble early, and they couldn't rally enough to get themselves out of said trouble.
The Pens were down 3-0 just 20 second after the start of the second period. Two of the goals were scored on the power play and the third was scored in a delayed penalty situation.
The Pens tried to turn it on, out shooting the Sens 39-12 over the final two periods. Unfortunately you can't always count on being able to come back. Sid hit the post / crossbar twice and Elliot was pretty sharp.
- Sid's streak continues, now up to 24 games.
- Turning the tide and dominating the play over the final two periods was nice.
- Three goals allowed while down a skater - not good.
- A general lack of traffic in front of Elliot until later in the third period.
- The refs. They were so incredibly inconsistent tonight that it was maddening. I'm thinking some more ref stat analysis might be worth some time.
- The PK allowing a multiple goal game - that hasn't happened yet this season - this was the first time.
What's their record now? Any important move in the standings?
The Pens are now 24-11-2. They have 50 points and are still on top of the standing in the NHL.
Atlanta comes to Consol on Tuesday night.