The Flyers were the better team tonight. If not for the blasts by Geno on the power play, this would have been a serious exercise in futility. The Pens could not mount any sustained attack or offensive zone presence. They also couldn't make the Flyers pay for a completely idiotic penalty taken by Powe with just over two minutes left (seriously - why go anywhere near Fleury if you're Powe?). All in all, it was a very disappointing effort - too much time hemmed into the defensive zone and no consistent pressure when they did get the puck deep.
Malkin 2 (9, 10)
- The power play managed two goals, driven entirely by Geno's shooting.
- Fleury was excellent for most of the night. Two of the three goals that went in were deflections that went up high on him - he had no chance.
- No one was injured (seriously - that's all I can come up with).
- 13 shots at even strength for the entire game. That isn't going to get it done.
- Kunitz was scratched. Hopefully he isn't injured too badly.
- The PK allowing the crucial goal in the third period was not good.
- The last two minutes or so of the game... on the power play... over 60 seconds with Fleury pulled... you know how many shots went on net? ZERO!! At least get one to the goalie, let him freeze it, and call timeout to get your troops rested. That was the most disappointing part of the entire evening for me.
- Kunitz not playing was a surprise.
What's their record now? Any important move in the standings?
The Pens are now 21-9-2. The Flyers have vaulted over the Pens and now lead them by one point for the Atlantic (and NHL) lead.
A chance to bounce back quickly against the Rangers in Pittsburgh.