The Pens exploded in the first period for three goals and then held on for most of the rest of the game. They needed (and got) some sharp goaltending from Johnson and Fleury (Johnson left after two periods with some lower body issues).
The Pens were playing with fire as the Panthers really carried the play for much of the latter two periods. If the Panthers had been able to score one on the power play this may have ended differently.
Certainly the Pens will need a much more consistent effort tomorrow night against the Caps.
Letestu (7), Crosby (28), Cooke (7), Lovejoy (1)
- Sid extended his point streak.
- Both Johnson and Fleury were sharp after shaky starts.
- Ben Lovejoy had his first fight and first goal in the NHL. He also took a puck off of the visor / cheek area late in the third period.
- 24/7 is on soon!!
- Vokoun wasn't very good - he was yanked in the first period.
- Asham was missing for the later part of the second and all of the third. Hopefully he isn't hurt - I'd far rather see him against the Caps than Godard.
- Getting out shot 29-17 over the second and third isn't good.
- Nothing really ugly tonight, except for the shot Lovejoy took off of his head.
- Chasing Vokoun would have to be a surprise. He has been good against the Pens recently.
What's their record now? Any important move in the standings?
The Pens are now 23-10-2. They are one point behind the Flyers for the Atlantic and NHL lead.
The Caps in Washington tomorrow night. Big game.