This is getting embarrassing. The Pens smeared the Blue Jackets tonight. At the end of the first period, the score was 4-0, Steve Mason had been chased, and the shots were 16-2 in favor of the Pens. This isn't a case of the statistics lying either - it was clearly that one-sided.
Martin 2 (2,3), Rupp (2), Crosby 2 (22, 23), Kennedy (5), Engelland (2)
- What wasn't good?
- Fleury made some key saves when the game was marginally in doubt (though any time you face just two shots in a period, you have a good chance to win).
- The power play scored three times, which was good to see considering Geno was out with a knee injury.
- There was no funny business. I fully expected to see someone get a little too over-zealous, but there really wasn't anything. The only fight was a direct result of some stick-slapping during a faceoff.
- Nothing. Really.
- I can't come up with anything. Maybe the Blue Jackets first goal. It was a deflection by Pahlsson, who was standing alone in front of Fleury. The reason Pahlsson was all alone? He had cross-checked Michalek in the back and right out of the play.
- Geno missing the game was a surprise.
What's their record now? Any important move in the standings?
The Pens are now 18-8-2. They are tied for the NHL lead in points with the Caps. They lead the Flyers in the Atlantic by two points.
The Devils come to Consol on Monday night.