- Crosby's goal on the backhand while falling over was another highlight reel goal. He had four points in the game. He leads the scoring race by 10 points. Looks like he's going to run away with it.
- Every player on the team got almost a full minute of time on the power play. This was largely due to the major penalty assessed to Josh Gratton in the third period with the game already decided. Still, pretty unusual.
- Among the latest signs the Apocalypse is upon us, the Pens got goals from Talbot, Ruutu and Petrovicky. Ruutu and Talbot continue to show some offensive skill. Ruutu's goal was a really nice one, faking the pass on a two-on-one and the beating Tellqvist by going five-hole.
- Along the same vein, the third and fourth line have continued to show the ability to generate chances in the offensive zone. The mantra would seem to be "Grinders with some skill".
- The Pens came out in the third period up 4-2. As we all know, there's nothing more dangerous than a two goal lead, especially when your team might be tired from playing the previous night. There were no signs of fatigue at all, and the Pens dominated.
- Thibault played his best game of the season. He wasn't asked to carry the team, but he made key saves when they were needed in the second and third periods.
- The Pens responded to the physical challenges issued by the Coyotes. This is especially important, because other teams are going to try to intimidate them down the stretch by beating on them at every opportunity.
Sunday, January 28, 2007
Penguins 7, Coyotes 2
There were so many impressive things about this game. I'll just point out several of them: