2011-12 Game 50
Toronto Maple Leafs (25-19-5, 55 points) at Pittsburgh Penguins (28-17-4, 60 points)
|I thought Lupul did a great job at the Fantasy Draft while getting booed by the Ottawa fans.|
If the playoffs started today, the Leafs would be on the outside looking in. That makes them a desperate team. This is the front end of a home-and-home on consecutive nights with the Leafs, so it'll have the feel of a mini playoff series.
What has been happening lately?
- Pens - Seven wins in a row. Here's hoping the All-Star break didn't kill the momentum.
- Leafs - Three wins in four games, but two of those were over the Islanders.
- Will we see the same team from a week ago? The one that was playing at a high level and competing with anyone?
- Any chance of seeing Brent Johnson today or tomorrow? The Pens have another back-to-back this weekend, so you'd have to figure we'll see him sometime soon.
- Get to the power play. This will be tough. For the month of January, the Leafs have allowed more than two power plays in a game just twice. They weren't whistled for a minor infraction at all in their wins against the Isles.
- Start strong. Get back into the habit with some hard skating work.
- Stick to the basics - dump the puck, dig it out and go to work in the offensive zone. Stay away from the cute stuff until the legs come back.