2011-12 Game 71
Pittsburgh Penguins (44-21-5, 93 points) at Philadelphia Flyers (41-22-8, 90 points)
|I think this card says it all. Cup foursomes, indeed. Go Pens.|
You figure the Pens have to come down to Earth sometime, but man, I sure hope it isn't against the Flyers. After the Ranger's loss to the Avs tonight, the Pens can tie the Rangers for the #1 spot in the East by earning two points in Philadelphia tomorrow. It will be Sid's first trip back to Philly (where he usually gets fired up), as well as a key divisional game.
What has been happening lately?
- Pens - If they can keep playing this way, I'm not sure anyone can beat them right now. Eleven wins in a row. Wow.
- Flyers - After losing to Boston in a shootout, the Flyers are 7-1-1 in their past 9 games.
Do the Flyers finally have a goalie? Over his past 9 games, Bryzgalov has allowed just 10 goals. Pretty sharp.
- Will the Flyers be dumb enough to get Sid and Geno fired up? If I'm the Flyers, I let sleeping dogs lie and stay away from the dumb stuff. I can't see the Flyers being that smart.
- Can the Pens simplify things and adjust to play a defensive style against the Flyers? It will be needed, as the Flyers are the top scoring team in the NHL (the Pens are #2).
- Discipline, both around the stupid stuff you know the Flyers will try, and (more importantly) against the high-powered offense. Nothing dumb in the gray areas (neutral zone and near the blue lines).
- Stick up for each other. I don't think this will be a problem, but everyone needs to pay special attention tomorrow.
- Roll the lines. The Pens may be working on some tired legs, especially after getting the Newark monkey off of their backs. Keep everyone fresh as much as possible.