The problem today for the Pens wasn't the offensive firepower of the Caps, it was their defense. The Pens simply didn't have the firepower to get the scoring chances they needed. Neuvirth was solid and made all of the saves you'd expect, and the defense locked down any second chances.
- There were no other injuries today. The Pens can't afford to lose another center.
- Tim Wallace, called up for today's game, drew the honor of fighting Steckel, which was a direct response to the hit on Crosby. Nice job by Wallace. I'd rather have seen Steckel have to fight Engelland, but Wallace did the job.
- The Pens weren't able to get their forecheck going, and weren't able to bring their physical game into play.
- The Pens weren't able to roll four lines - they played Wallace and Tangradi less than 14 minutes combined.
- Five shots in the first period. The Pens need to find a way to generate more offense.
- Ovechkin got hit... and it was around the knee area. I can't think of a nicer guy to get a knee-on-knee hit after his blatant hit on Gonchar in the playoffs.
What's their record now? Any important move in the standings?
The Pens are now 34-16-4.