Monday, June 28, 2010

Fun with Numbers!

We're going to have some fun with numbers this summer at Igloo Dreams. If you're a longtime reader, you may remember several previous efforts along these lines.

I've just revamped my program for pulling and aggregating these stats, this time from a better source - NHL.com Play by Play pages. They're insane on the level of detail they provide.

I'm still kicking around some of the information I can pull together. I'm thinking in terms of answering questions like:
  • What is average shooting distance for each player / team and can we tell anything from it (like finding D-men that actually jump into the play more often - they'd likely have a lower average shot distance, right?)
  • Which players are the best at getting their shot on net? Who gets their shot blocked the most?
  • Can we tell if teams are trying to go up on some goaltenders versus others in a systematic way?
  • Are faceoff results influenced by the linesman? Does Sid, for instance, fare better with some linesman than with others?
  • What about the refs? I'm keeping this one broad, because there are a million different directions we can go here.
I'll have a post up later tonight that should whet your appetite: Which players took the most penalties while they were on the power play during the 2009-2010 season? If I had to come up with a name for this (dubious) honor, it would be the DOH! Award, or maybe [head / desk].

Anyway, that will be up later, with (I hope) much, much more to follow.

You'll also be able to see some of the more generalized work in my writing over at hockeyindependent.com, though I'll usually cross-post the content over here.

No comments: