Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Gonchar out indefinitely

Sergei Gonchar has a dislocated shoulder and is out indefinitely.

That hurts a whole lot. Fortunately, the Pens had a plethora of NHL defensemen on the roster prior to Whitney and Gonchar getting hurt. The quality may not be the same, but the team will certainly get to fill out the roster.

Looking on the bright side, we'll get to see the young guys take a much larger role. I'm especially intersted to see how Kris Letang steps up after a year in the NHL. Maybe Golisoski can pull a Letang and make a case to be a full time member of the defense corps.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good to see you back for another season, Pat!

Too bad about Gonchar. I mean at least it's now and not in March where we'd lose him for the playoffs, but he will be missed on the blue line. I'm looking forward to seeing how Go-Go and Tanger step up. Am I the only really, really happy we did not trade Sydor over the summer? (I hate to admit it but I was hoping for it at the time thinking we had more than enough d-men :)

Can't believe the season starts in 4 days. My two month old son gets to watch his first Pens game ever!